National Fish & Chip Day
At Loch Fyne
Is there anything better than a hearty plate of fresh fish in a crispy batter, thick cut chips with lashings of salt and vinegar and generous side of classic mushy peas and tartare sauce? Here at Loch Fyne, we think not.
It is a firm favourite of ours and our Guests alike, so it comes as no surprise that this iconic British dish has one day of the year dedicated to it. On 1st June, fish and chip advocates across the country will celebrate National Fish and Chip Day, so to mark the occasion we thought we’d share some fun and mouth-watering facts about the much loved dish!
1. The perfect pairing of fish and chips is said to have first been served in 1860. The origin however is still contested.
2. An estimated twenty-eight per cent of people add mushy peas to their fish and chips, while twenty-five per cent add tomato ketchup.
3. Fish and chips were traditionally served in newspaper until the 1980s.
4. The annual spend on fish and chips in the UK is said to be around £1.2 billion.
5. Over 250 million fish and chip meals are sold each year in the UK.
6. Dubbed ‘good companies’ by Winston Churchill during the Second World War; fish and chips were not subject to rationing.
7. The world’s largest portion of fish and chips is believed to have been made by ‘Fish & Chips’ in Enfield, London in 2012. The whole meal weighed in at a staggering 47kg.
8. Friday is the most popular day of the week for eating fish and chips.
9. The UK's favourite fish choice is cod with six out of ten portions being cod.
10. One in six UK adults enjoys fish and chips once or twice a week.
Be sure to join us at your local Loch Fyne restaurant to enjoy a plate of our delicious fish and chips. We look forward to seeing you soon!